Friday, October 12, 2012

Heart - Fanatic


The queens of rock are back with a new album. Sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson new record is called Frantic, and it has a number of fine golden songs. 

I wasn't impressed with the title song when I saw the video on youtube, but I liked it after a couple of listens. However, I still feel that the climax picks up from "Old Dear America".  Side note, great choice to merge strings on some of the songs, I think most of them had an orchestration composition into them.

Million Miles is one of my favorites. I listened to the song a number of times, it is one of my most favorite songs on the album. Did I say that? 

I can't make out describing the 59 Crunch. A short song that is between a typical Grunge and Indie rock (if we are going to separate the two into two different genres).

The music takes another turn on Cordury Road.  Mid tempo a bit dark melody with heavy strings arrangements. Am I hearing 3/4 note used in the melody?!

Beautiful Broken is another favorite of mine. Just punch in the face type of rock song. 

Another favorite of mine from this fanatical perfect album is Two Silver Rings. The song had its own atmosphere. Sadly, the album ends with the Zingara, with percussions and acoustic guitars going blues style in a way, with strings from second part of the song to compliment the overall melody.

Another side note: I don't understand why they didn't include the other two songs "Two Silver Rings" and "Zingara" into the official album! The latter

The album is coinciding with the release of an autobiography, hence Heart fans (like me) are getting a double treat.

All in all, Heart took us a trip around musical cultures around the world, in my opinion, but with their own terms.

Ann and Nancy Wilson still deserve the title of queens of rock. No doubt about it, especially with such a vibrant album.

What makes this album better than previous one, Red Velvet Car, are the obvious power and energy that I missed in previous one. In addition, the Wilson sisters ability of writing diverse and colorful songs. No doubt about it.


Song Listing
01    Fanatic
02    Dear Old America           
03    Walkin' Good           
04    Skin and Bones           
05    Million Miles           
06    Pennsylvania           
07    Mashallah!           
08    Rock Deep (Vancouver)           
09    59 Crunch           
10    Corduroy Road

No comments:

Post a Comment