Thursday, August 30, 2012

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Last month I walked into HMV record store to check on some movies.  Always a joy going to that place.

This was the first time I heard Rodrigo and Gabriela music, coming out through the store's speakers.

The fast playing combined with outstanding composition melody were stunningly perfect to my air.

I asked one of the guys working there about the music, he told me about the due and how they left thrash metal and switched to classical guitars before recording their first album. He showed me the shelve where they have their CD's.

They only have 5 studio albums, and 4 live albums. I decided to buy my first album but I was not sure from where to start, wanted to ask the guy again about the name of the tune i heard few minutes ago, but then I had another idea: to start with the latest album and go backwards through their catalogue. That's how I bought Area 52.

This is an album where the two virtuoso recruiting a number of perfect Cuban musicians and record (or shall I say re-record) some of their songs from previous albums but with Cuban style.

The result is a brilliant record.

The record was mixed received. Some criticized the idea of replacing guitar and adding other instruments like piano, violin, trumpets...etc

I disagree, I could listen to both the original version of "Hanuman" (from their 11:11 album), as well as to the new version from Area 52, which became like a Santana melody.

The same goes with the excellent tune"Santo Domingo", or "11:11" or "Diablo Rojo". They are the same songs but they have another excellent musical taste each.

On the same day I listened to Area 52 and before watching the "making of the album documentary" on the DVD attached with the album, I went to youtube and that was it: I was stunned. Their playing live performance is jaw dropping.

It is not about being a good player only, but Rodrigo and Gabriela were capable of entertain. Their interaction with the public is also superb.

From Youtube I also heard the tune they wrote for Pirates of the Caribbean 4 soundtrack.

After seeing that I decided to look if they are planning to do a concert in London in the coming months, but I was disappointed because they are not. Hopefully next year.

I read somewhere that they are already back in the studio to record their next album. One thing for sure, I will be one of the first to buy that record when it come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment